Monday, July 10, 2006

A LITTLE KNITTING HISTORY


Knitting Tote History Update!
A little knitting history for you. If you know me at all - you know that I collect vintage knitting totes (see Flickr badge for more) These are 2 of my favorites.
I have been trying to research the history of these totes since I began my collection a year ago. This weekend I found a huge box of McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazines from the 1960's and 1970's at a yard sale. I grabbed a handful, made the guy an offer, and off we went. I was thumbing through when I saw this advertisement.

The Knit Caddy sold for $5.95 plus shipping. Holds all your knitting needles and comes with it's very own sizing guage. The picture above shows the top of the tote with knitting needles. Made by United Specialties Co. in 1972!

I am a woman on a mission - I will discover the vintage secrets of knitting!! Stay tuned for more knitting history..........

4 comments:

LadyLungDoc said...

Ebay my friend, ebay.

KNIT A NEW DREAM said...

It is very hard to find them in the "wild". Ebay!

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh - I've never seen inside one of them. That is too cool. I'd be all over that today.

Dustin said...

My mother and father manufactured and sold the Knit Kaddy's. I sent you an email regarding this.