Thursday, November 16, 2006

A WELL USED SKEIN OF YARN.....

Last Thursday, I went to a doctor's appointment. It was just supposed to be a follow up but it turned into an adventure in knitting! I packed my knitting bag for the 4 hour trip and brought more than enough knitting for 8 hours in the car and an hour in the doctor's waiting room.
I also packed my brand new copy of One Skein Wonders thinking that I could have a chance to really look through and think about simple one skein projects to debulk my growing stash of orphan yarn. Little did I know that my quick little appointment would turn into a 6 day hospital stay!
Between tests and treatments, I kept my mind and thoughts busy with a little red baby sweater that was just pure knitting in the round. I even made the IV team place my IV in a spot on my arm where it would not interfere with my ability to knit! They got a real hoot out of that request.
Once the red yarn for the baby sweater was used up - I had only one lonely skein of Lambs Pride Wool left in my knitting bag. It was a lonely leftover from a previous project and had gotten lost in the bottom of my gigantic knitting bag. I pondered my options and decided to make a scarf out of this lonely little chocolate brown yarn.

I finished the scarf and had nothing left to knit. HMMMMM.......... I ripped it out and made a fancy hat. With still another day before I could go home and no more knitting to be had ---- I ripped out the hat and made this cute little brown bag! A skein of yarn well used I must say!

A lesson well learned to always, always pack as much yarn in my bag as possible and it will be a very long time before I knit anything brown again!!

By the way, this is a great book with excellent patterns. I highly recommend it!

4 comments:

Fidget said...

Drumroll..... And the award for the most creative use for one skein of yarn goes to.... SUE!!!!

Hope the hospital stay was successful and no further adventures of that sort will be needed.

Batty said...

That's a lot of entertainment, but... what possessed you to take only 1 skein of yarn? I thought all knitters took their current project, plus at least one or two alternatives. The first alternative is in case the WIP gets done, the second in case you need a break from your next WIP.

Or maybe that's just me being overly anxious of running out of knitting. You've shown that there is no such thing as running out of knitting.

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. Very impressive! I think I'd be trying to get someone to deliver me a fresh skein from the local craft store!

Zonda said...

Ha! Love what T-girl said! Glad you are doing better and hope everything works out.

That purse is really cute! Now you'll be like me, an overpacker so you don't run out of things to knit! :)