Friday, November 03, 2006

UNDERSTANDING SELF STRIPING SOCK YARN...


I decided to take a break from my large projects this week and make up a pair of gorgeous socks for myself. I had bought this self striping sock yarn - Big Mexiko from Schoeller Stahl - last spring on sale for just this purpose. I have used this yarn before for another pair of socks and knew full well that it takes 3 skeins to make a pair of socks. The sale was too good to be true and these 2 skeins were the only ones left - therefor I knew they would have to be short cuff socks. I checked the lot and color numbers and Voila! they were the same.



Rules for using self striping yarn -
1. The socks are never ever the same striping pattern no matter how hard you try.
2. You have to buy the same lot number or you need to make one sock!
3. The finished project is always always gorgeous!
4. You must always pull from the same end for each sock. If you start with the middle strand for one then don't pull the center for the second.

But - with all of my self striping yarn know how - I never expected this! Look! These socks are exactly opposite striping patterns!!! I pulled the yarn from the outside of the skein for both and I knit both from the top down! Thank goodness they are for me and I love being different!



What do you think?

10 comments:

Abigale said...

Nice socks! I don't mind if mine don't completely match either, as long as they're clean and handknit! I do love the surprises that you get with selfstriping yarns - sometimes things just don't look at all the way you think they would in the skein.

Anonymous said...

That is so strange, I have never had a self striping yarn do that. I like it though, it looks cool.

Carina said...

I've had that happen before with some Regia. The two balls were wound in opposite ways on the colorway. I had to rip out an inch's worth of 9sts/in on my hubby's size 12 socks when I figured that out.

Yours look nice, though. Really nice. They look comfy, too--very important. :)

Mag said...

It is a puzzle, but I like your Up one Way and Down the Other socks very much!

Anonymous said...

I love those socks! They are a conversation starter (if you aren't wearing shoes.)

Unknown said...

i think they look just like a pair of sock i knit with some Lion Brand yarn a 2 years ago (the photo images are burried in my photogally)
i too used 2 balls of yarn (even thought LB is a 100gm ball) of the same dye lot.

one ball was wound 'backwards'

how or why that happens, i don't know, but you're in good company.
Yarn Harlot has had the same experience and recorded it in one of her books!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. Certainly an interesting result. They look cool as hell, so I wouldn't be upset either. Someone at the factory wound one of the balls the wrong way though. Geez.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and unique socks!

Annie said...

I love the total opposite socks!! I haven't knit socks yet, but can't wait... I think your socks look fantastic, and thanks for the tips!!

Pixiepurls said...

If you at all have a different amount of stitches around the needle when you hit the same spot, it will do that regardless. So if you where on a heel and had several extra stitches because on the heal you are picking up so you have more then on the cuff, then it will pool differently then it would on the cuff. Hope that makes sense.