Sunday, August 06, 2006

YARN SALES AND YARD SALES - WAY FUN!!!

Darling Daughter kidnapped me on Tuesday morning and took me off to Portland Maine for a day of Yarn shopping with loads of sales and a night of knitting with my favorite SnB ladies. My vertigo has not improved and the medications make it difficult for me to drive - so this was a heaven sent diversion this week.

Hubby wisked me off on Friday and Saturday for a Yard Sale Marathon. I found these great vintage knitting magazines and books for 10 cents a piece! Great find! The lady that I bought them from used to knit a lot and we both enjoyed talking about knitting. To the left, I found a vintage tape measure and pin cushion in the shape of an iron and one that is made of tin painted brown with compartments for all your notions. Too cute! I also found these size 2 knitting needles by Red Heart (they have red hearts on the tops) to add to my knitting needle collection and a crochet and tatting booklet from the 1950's in pristine condition. My grandmother used to tat. I have her tatting shuttle and some of her lace work - I remember her tatting while she watched tv.


I have been wanting to make these Geometric design socks from Knitter's magazine - Summer edition 2006 since I got the magazine. You can tell that I have been deep in thought over these socks for a while due to the coffee stain on the page!

My daughter managed to get me to the Korner Knitters in Standish Maine (one of my favorite knitting stores in the whole world - HI GUYS!!) before their big sale was over. I got this Noro on sale - 25% off and will be putting it on the needles this week!







Sandnes
I also greatly increased my Dale of Norway Baby Ull stash! (I just love sales!! Darling hubby was awesome about all the bags of yarn that came home with me that night - god bless him! He is going to have a gold halo when he gets to heaven!) All those beautiful colors of merino wool, that wash so well. I found this line of knitting books on line and managed to scoop up a few on Tuesday. They are done in the Norweigian style like the Dale of Norway and the Lanett and Petit Mandarin yarns knit up to the same gauge. I have started one sweater already and they have some great designs! Dragons, fairies, trains, and trucks to name a few - I have found a whole new baby world to knit!
Stay tuned for the Princess Sweater that is just about to come off the needles!! It is so cute - it almost makes me want another baby!

2 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! What a great haul! Love the heart topped needles and the brown tin thingie. And Noro pr0n! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Nice items you have there! I have my great-grandmother's tatting shuttle, but have never attempted to learn to use it. Someday....