Tuesday, January 09, 2007

DARN IT OR NOT?

I have knit a LOT of socks and never had a problem. This Christmas, I decided to knit a pair of socks for hubby and for darling son. I had a hard time finding a masculine self-striping yarn in a thicker sized yarn. I was looking for masculine, comfy, and warm.
I thought that I had found the answer with this Moda-Dea Sassy Stripes yarn made by Coats. I have used this yarn before and never had any problems ------until now! GRRRRRRRRRR!!
Within a week after Christmas - both loved ones presented me with socks that had gaping holes in them. I don't knit through the knots. I used the correct gauge and needle size. I hand washed and air dried them. I lovingly put my whole heart and soul into making these socks perfect!!!! AGGGHHHHHHHH!!!
The boys feel terrible and I simply don't know what to do - the yarn is definitely not going to hold up and the holes are huge! Not just one sock has a hole in it but both pairs - all 4 socks- have these same holes! What to do - Guess I will toss these and start new ones but Coats yarn has lost a customer forever!! Be forewarned

My pile of handmade socks that all have holes in them after being worn only 2 times each!

3 comments:

sgeddes said...

That is really disappointing! All four socks and the same hole? That is just unbelievable. I'd chuck them into the recycle pile or sew them into cat toys.

You might try e-mailing the company. Maybe they woudl replace the yarn.

Batty said...

Since you've never had this problem before, I'm inclined to agree that it's the yarn, not your sock-knitting skills (duh, one only need look at all the amazing FO's you produce all the time!). You could try darning them, but I wouldn't do it more than once. If they wear out in another spot... too bad. Just don't ever buy this yarn again.

Carina said...

I would contact the company. There's something wrong with the yarn if it can't handle the friction from shoes in only two wearings. Heck, I've had fine merino hold up better than that in a pair of socks.

I'd also darn them. You can basically knit a patch into the hole, and that works better for big holes. I like doing it, actually. If you don't want to mess with it, send them and extra yarn to me. I'll do it for ya. :)