Monday, October 29, 2007

WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!


I love vintage knitting totes! I don't know what it is about them but they just make me happy!
Last week, I recieved an e-mail that was a delightful surprise!
Beth and Dustin are the children of the original manufacturers of the Knit Kaddy and their parents were excited that they had found my post about these vintage beauties! Really nice folks who offered up some interesting information about the Knit Kaddy.
So here is a little information about them that I didn't already know.

1. The Knit Kaddy's came in different shades of the colors that are shown above and different fabrics as well - I have seen a green one similar to the ones above but have never seen any other fabrics
2. JC Penney showed some interest in selling these in their stores but decided not to carry them after all. So they were only sold by mail order.
3. The last Knit Kaddys were made around 1973 or 1974 because the factory burned down - what a tragedy for this family.
Thanks to Beth, Dustin, and their family for the info and lovely e-mails and the info!

5 comments:

Batty said...

I love your Knit Kaddy collection, and this is such a neat story! I didn't even know they existed until I saw them on your site. Might have something to do with the last one being made 2 years before I was born, but they're beautiful.

Annie said...

I love the Knit Kaddy! Very cool.

Carol said...

I remember those from when my Mom and Aunt knit.....wish they still had theirs....

Robineta said...

My Mother-in-law passed away recently . Before she died I had the honor of bringing her into our home to take care of her . Before old Arther set in ,she used to knit a lot . She had one of these kaddys . Now it's here at our home . It's still in great condition ! I was surprised to find this on here ! It's like looking directly at it !

Dustin said...

I am the Dustin you mentioned in this article. Beth is my mother, not my sister. She and my father are the creators of the Knit Kaddy. My father passed on in the 70s but my mother is still very much alive and is sitting next to me with a smile on her face as I read this article to her. Thank you.